Being a person, who facilitates team work and makes sure that the implemented project is developing in accordance with the client’s expectations, a Scrum Master becomes an extremely important part of a team. Especially when it comes to projects related to software development. Still, what exactly do they do?
Scrum Master’s role is not always understood by people. Often, this position is wrongly taken for a Project Manager. First of all, let’s explain, who a Scrum Master is and what their responsibilities are.
In reference to the Scrum Guide, the role of a Scrum Master is to maintain the principles of the Scrum methodology in the project. It is a person who helps to understand the other members of a team the rules that work within the group. They work closely with a Product Owner and supervise the course of project work. In general – a Scrum Master is concerned that the course of work takes place in accordance with the Agile terminology.
Read also: Scrum as an Agile management of IT projects
– define the principles of communication in a team and make sure that they are respected,
– supervise the work of a Product Owner – they make sure that a project is proceeding in accordance with the adopted goals and values,
– work on continuous improvement of the team work,
– popularize and prepare good work practices for team members,
– eliminate threats to the project,
– react in crisis situations.
A Scrum Master is not directly a member of the team. One can say that they oversee everything from the side and supervise that the work is proceeding as planned, which, in turn, ensures stability and efficiency. Projects related to software development tend to be very complicated. A team must be really well organized so that it can work effectively. The aspect of communication with a client is also important.
The lack of Scrum Master’s presence could lead to chaos or even emergence of conflict situations, which may threaten the project. In addition, a Scrum Master is a support for the development team.
Here’s a simple example. There’s a team that creates a problem resulting from a lack of access to technology or equipment (for example to conduct tests). In this case, the role of a Scrum Master is to respond appropriately and quickly eliminate obstacles. Thanks to their presence, the whole team should feel comfortable when working and they will be sure that the project’s development path is right.
If a software development project runs in accordance with the Scrum methodology, based on Agile principles, a Scrum Master’s role will be utterly important – almost invaluable. Thanks to it, you can be sure that the project is going to be implemented efficiently and without any delays or other unforeseen problems.
It should also be remembered that being a Scrum Master is a job for a person, who knows not only Agile and Scrum but also has soft skills – such as communication skills, negotiation or conflict resolution. It is also an inseparable element of work.
Read also: Best Agile tools for IT projects
Special fun matrix is our latest device created by the… Electrodest group. On hacking coffemaker, we started developing another project. This time again, we decided to use our creativity related to both programming and electrics.
At Codest we like challenges. Many of our developers have a really wide range of interests that are more or less connected with technology. Thus we decided to make use of their little passions without any hesitation. We created an informal group and called it the Electrodest. Why that? The answer is very simple. Electrics is the subject, which we are interested in so much.
– Our group name was created from the combination of two words – electric and Codest. It was a spontaneous idea. Often we would stay after hours in the office and together were developing various devices, having fun with electrics and programming. Any examples? A coffee machine that we hacked – says one of the originators, Radosław Bułat – Technology Mentor in Codest.
Matrix is a physical device that allows you to light colored pixels (matrix size 21×15). Using the Sinatra framework, a special application in Ruby has been written for it. The matrix allows us to display any images that fit in the previously specified sizes. In practice, we display funny and cool images in the office.
– The matrix was built using the LED strip and a Raspberry Pi tool. It’s a small computer that allows the matrix to work. The frontend application itself was created in Ruby Sinatra. It allows us to edit online graphic objects that we want to display. For example, when someone accomplishes something or succeeds, they can boast about this using the matrix. On Friday the word ‘weekend’ usually appears (laughs) – adds Radosław Bułat.
The Electrodest group is developing very dynamically. Codest developers not only create interesting devices and software but also support the organizational culture in our team. There are already more projects in plans. One of them is an innovative machine for making drinks.
The e-commerce market is one of the most profitable sectors in Germany. It belongs to the group of the most developing markets all over the world. From the business point of view, it has enormous potential. Check out 10 most interesting facts about the German e-commerce market that you probably did not know about before.
1. Germany is the fifth largest country in the world and the second in Europe with the highest revenue from the e-commerce market (USD 76.478 million). China hold the first position (USD 77.422 million), the second – the US (USD 560.747 million), and the third belongs to the United Kingdom (USD 93.082 million).
2. It is estimated that the revenue on the e-commerce market in Germany in 2019 will be 76 478 million USD.
3. Revenues from the e-commerce market in 2017-2023 will increase by approximately 33%.
4. The projected annual growth rate of revenues from the e-commerce market (CAGR 2019-2023) will amount to 5.6%. This will lead to an increase in the market value by USD 95 277 million in 2023.
5. The average revenue per user (ARPU) in 2019 will be 1 189.34 USD.
– I have been following the development of the e-commerce market in Germany for many years, technologically supporting our partners. I must say that I am very impressed by the potential of this sector. It is extremely impressive to observe how fast it is growing. I believe that this positive trend will continue to grow – said Greg Polec, Business Consultant and COO at Codest.
6. It is estimated that by 2023 the number of users on the e-commerce market in Germany will amount to 66 million.
7. 26% of e-commerce market users in Germany are people aged 45-54, 19.9% are aged 35-44%, and 21.5% are people between the ages of 25-34.
8. The largest segment of the German e-commerce market is electronics and media. Their total value in 2019 will amount to approximately 23 3380 million USD.
9. 30% of all purchases on the e-commerce market in Germany will be made via bank transfer.
10. The amount of users in 2019 will reach up to 77.8%. It is estimated that in 2023 this number will increase to nearly 80%.
Central and Eastern Europe is an attractive direction for many companies that are looking for software development partners. The trend is quite noticeable in the Nordic countries. Why is like that? We will explain this phenomenon on the example of our case study with Mittmedia.
To understand the benefits that companies from the Nordic countries achieve in cooperation with CEE software houses, we can use our experience. Since 2015, we have been cooperating with a well-known media group in Sweden – Mittmedia. It is one of the largest media groups in central Sweden, issuing eighteen daily newspapers, twelve free newspapers, broadcasting through radio and Web TV and running various digital projects.
– We needed a help in building a new platform to be used by our sellers to create business growth. With this tool, our traiders can sit with customers and set up ad campaigns. Since we didn’t have in-house resources back then, we needed a good partner – says Thomas Sundgren.
Looking for a partner to implement the project, Mittmedia decided to choose a software house from CEE, as development services in this area retain cost effectiveness and high quality of services. This distinguishes it from the Scandinavian countries and makes these European countries an attractive market.
– Codest’s nuanced understanding of industry needs, fluid communication and high reliability make them a valuable partner. I can strongly recommend this approach – added Sundgren.
The example of our cooperation with Mittmedia is just one of many that confirms that in Europe the IT services market enjoys good reputation and interest from the Nordic countries. In addition to the aforementioned cost-effectiveness, clients can remain confident about the efficient implementation of projects – both in case of communication aspects and deadlines. There are many specialists in Poland. It is estimated that an average developer has an experience of 7.6 years. This is the third result in all of Europe. Interestingly, every fourth programmer from Central and Eastern Europe works in Poland.
European software houses have also developed effective communication with their clients over the years. English language is widely used and most developers work according to the popular Scrum methodology. In addition, CEE is developing very dynamically in terms of technology. Apart from the Scandinavian countries, more and more companies from the USA are taking decision to cooperate with Europe’s software houses.
– Codest is doing a great job. Though we work remotely, we have a really good communication with their team. They understand our business and stick to the schedule. They are loyal and hardworking. Plus, they’re open-minded when it comes to finding solutions. They often know the best direction for our product – summed up Thomas Sundgren.
We are fans of modern technologies, our team is a bunch of real geeks, but above all we strive for development. If you’re wondering, what Codest is and how we work, then you have come to the right place. In this article, we will try to reveal the backstage of our activity. Welcome!
Codest is a dynamically growing polish software house that has been operating on the market for around 10 years. Our beginnings date back to the first projects we carried out for Yieldbird. This is how our history on the programming services market began. Our team initially consisted of a dozen people or so and the headquarters of the company were located Krakow.
– We did not suppose that we would become a real software house. Initially, our team included only a few people and we executed small orders for our clients. However, we understood that the IT industry had a great potential. We decided that it was time to take advantage of it and focused on development. And that’s how it all began – recalls the Chief Operating Officer in Codest, Jakub Jakubowicz.
– We have worked hard to find ourselves where we are now. It would not be possible if it were not for the people surrounding us. We have a really fantastic team that does a great job. But we do not wish to stop and we set really ambitious goals. In 2019, Codest wants to increase by 100%. It will not be easy, but I believe that we will manage – says Jakubowicz.
We implement all our projects in accordance with the Agile approach, using the Scrum methodology popular in IT projects. Our programmers are free to choose their working hours and very often use a possibility of remote work. In this way, we try to create the best conditions for them and make their work as effective as possible. This solution proves to be a success.
– When someone asks me where I see Codest in a few years, I answer that we want our work to continue being considered as qualitative. Then, for sure, we will be able to maintain the upward trend – ends Jakub Jakubowicz.
More information about Codest you can find on the channels:
From the life of Codest. Our representatives took part in Ruby on Rails workshops in Warsaw. They were organized by specialists from Spark Academy, which takes care of the development community of specialists working in Ruby on Rails technology. The topic of the workshop was ‘Payment Provider Integration’.
Improving skills and deepening knowledge in case of developer’s work is particularly important. At Codest, we care for the development of our specialists, who take part in many workshops and conferences. In this way, they receive the most recent knowledge and are up to date with all novelties.
This time we went to Warsaw for a workshop organized by Spark Academy. We had an opportunity to explore information in scope of Payment Provider Integration. Knowledge in this area is particularly useful in creating e-commerce platforms where many online transactions occur. During the workshop, we discussed pros and cons of Payment Providers. We tried to develop solutions that would make exchanging money between the client and the company in more effective and safe way.
– Such workshops are always a good place to learn new things and exchange experiences with other participants. Moreover, when the subject matter concerns e-commerce platforms which we have to deal with quite often. I am glad that I had a possibility to take part. I intend to use the acquired knowledge in my daily work – summed up Piotr Mańkowski, Ruby Developer at Codest.
At Codest, we are happy to support similar development initiatives of the Ruby on Rails community. In cooperation with the Code Sensei programming school, we organize trainings for people who want to learn programming. You can read more about it here.
In Germany there are many popular websites created on the basis of Ruby on Rails (RoR) technology. These are web apps, e-commerce platforms or websites that contain a comprehensive database. We’ve chosen a few of the most interesting ones that RoR helped in creating and developing effective products.
Air Berlin was the second largest airline in Germany. This company’s aircrafts flew to 39 countries around the world. On the website, customers could purchase and book tickets and check all the information on flights they needed. The airline Air Berlin stopped functioning in 2017. During their operating on the market, Ruby on Rails was one of the used technology.
A German company well-known to clients around the world. It deals with production of automotive and industrial technology as well as technical equipment of buildings. Their main website is a great showcase for all Bosch products. On this website customers, who want to shop online, choose their country and move to the right domain. Here we can find Ruby on Rails as well.
One of the most popular portals in Germany, which creates a global network of employees and employers, making it easier for both parties to establish cooperation. The platform enables creation of employee profiles, employers, joining discussion groups, as well as promotion of events. XING is often compared to it’s biggest competitor – the LinkedIn portal. In 2017, its revenue amounted to nearly EUR 190 million.
Have you heard about the wunderlist application? It has been created in Germany and is used to manage work time. It allows you to schedule all your activities on time, organize working process and divide it amongst the other people. It is available on Android and iOS systems. With the help of the home page, you can, among other things, check its most important functionalities and download it on the phone or PC.
It is a platform for selling products compatible with Android. It is available all over the world and has been founded in Berlin. There you can find, among others, a wide range of technological products, software or electronic equipment. In this case, Ruby on Rails supported creating a thriving e-commerce platform.
Experteer is a highly personalized career service for senior – level executives in Europe. It connects employers with qualified employees. There are over 250,000 executive jobs available on the website and over 10,000 headhunters. Job offers are available for various sectors, such as the industry of industry, consulting, pharmacy, banking or finance.
One of the most popular e-commerce platforms in Germany, created with the help of Ruby on Rails technology. On this website, users can purchase various products online – from computer programs and devices to courses and a possibility to obtain IT certificates. Every day, the platform is visited by several thousand people.
Increasing importance of the IT industry for business development has initiated a growing trend of outsourcing IT processes. Investing in an in-house team of qualified employees usually becomes unprofitable for companies. Though cost-effectiveness is a considerable advantage of outsourcing over in-house, it’s not the single benefit. Based on our experience on the market, we share with thoughts on the benefits of IT outsourcing.
The IT industry is so demanding for its specialists, that they must be highly competent and have a constant access to the latest knowledge. Considering IT outsourcing, you may rest assured that software houses employ the best. That is due to the high quality services they provide. Software houses have extensive teams that are run by experienced project leaders. You shouldn’t worry about punctuality as projects are carried out within the prescribed time. In case of an in-house solution, you cannot always be so confident in it.
What is usually associated with the creating process of your own IT in-house team is the need to invest in a qualified employee. Specialist on the market are of high demand, so the cost of hiring a professional worker has recently dramatically increased. In addition, it is necessary to ensure their development. If the purchase of appropriate equipment is to be added, we can see that the value of acquiring a specialist soars quite high. And this is not the end. One employee is usually not enough. As a rule, much larger team is required to implement IT projects.
Ordering specific IT projects to an external company is simply a convenient thing to do. You can focus on other tasks and entrust IT cases to the specialists. When you are running your own in-house team, you have to control all processes in person. In case of cooperating with software house all the questions are answered and solved without any problems. It should be remembered that creating your own in-house team requires time commitment of HR departments, which do not always have the appropriate specialist base allowing them to find a really good specialist.
Software houses are made up of experienced developers, which guarantees the effectiveness. They work on many projects on the daily basis and thanks to this the necessary experience is gained. The extensive teams of specialists can also be a guarantee of both knowledge exchange and access to the newest technology. Therefore, IT outsourcing reduces the risk of project failure to a minimum.
Differences between IT outsourcing and in-house will be best illustrated by a simple example. If you are running a dynamically growing company, you have a need to develop your product and you will have to start development work in a relatively short time. To achieve the best effect, specialists will help you. That is why the question arises – where to find them?
Of course, you can take on the challenge of quick recruitment of developers. However, you must bear in mind that such an experienced employee is very difficult to find. And that is only the first worrying thing to know. The next is that you do not have the appropriate competence to verify their work and have control over the development of the product. In a situation like that it’s easy to make mistakes and face the risk of failure.
On the other hand, even if you have a team of developers, they are very likely to become inefficient in case you outsource further responsibilities. That’s why you’ll need more hands to work again. Also, you should take into account that IT projects are a piece of a very specific work. Sometimes solving problems requires teamwork and exchange of experiences. As you can see, problems related to the organization of a house team can be really challenging. So why not consider outsourcing?
In this case, the whole process is much simpler. All you have to do is select a proper software house and set all the details of work. If you make the right choice of your future partner, you will not only be able to count on high quality of services, but also on substantive help. In addition, you will both save time and keep up-to-date with the development of your product.
Basically, there are more advantages to add. The pros mentioned in this article are just a few of the most important ones. Personally, I have no doubt that in the case of IT projects outsourcing is an effective solution that has recently dominated the market.
Have you ever heard the statement that Berlin is considered to be a new European Silicon Valley? German market with its capital at the forefront is developing very dynamically. It is an attractive place to operate companies and corporations as well as to invest into.
In Germany you can find a lot of interesting tech events that will let you stay up to date with all the latest news in the industry. A few of them promise to be really interesting. Below is a list of the most important events in 2019 (only Q1).
IT leaders and specialists from around the world take part in it. The topics discussed include languages and frameworks, distributed systems, fronted and UX engineering, blockchain and issues related to IT project management.
In the first quarter there are three meetups, organized periodically each month. The community connected with the tech startups in Berlin is taking part, which means that experience exchange, sharing knowledge and gaining valuable contacts are guaranteed.
Digital transformation is the main topic of the conference. It’s a good place to acquire new knowledge in IT Management. The event is organized by EUROFORUM.
Like the conference in Munich, LZ Open in Berlin is all about digital transformation. In addition, you can gain useful knowledge of current technological trends and learn about effective business models that have revolutionized the market.
This event gathers experts, founders and intrapreneurs and C-level leaders in one place to exchange the latest innovation and transformation methods, share best practices and learn from each other in interactive formats like keynotes, workshops, roundtable discussions and mentoring sessions.
The purpose of this conference is to help exchange information and knowledge between various social groups, such as entrepreneurs, engineers, university lecturers and students. The most current technological trends are the high priority of the conference.
Here you will meet over 200 managers responsible in their companies for Research and Development (R&D). You will have an opportunity to take part in a discussion about technological innovations and challenges related to the IT industry.
Strategies and processes, business realities in digital ecosystems, business models of the future, digital realignment and roadmaps – these are just a few examples of the topics that will be discussed during the conference in Berlin. You will have a unique opportunity to meet experienced managers related to the IT market.
This event is addressed to the leaders in mobile technology industry from German-speaking countries. It focuses on topics related to the development of iOS and Android, mobile web and UX experience.
The year 2018 is coming to an end, which is why it seems to be a good time for summaries. In recent months, a lot has happened on our blog. We shared the content prepared by the Codest specialists with you. We checked which articles were the most popular in 2018. Here is our list. If you missed something, we really recommend to catch up.
The startup market is a very interesting topic, right? We have analyzed the best current markets for business development. Silicon Valley holds the leading positions, but on our list you will find many other interesting locations.
What is the Agile methodology and what are some useful tools that improve work? On the basis of our client’s completed projects, we are answering how you can effectively increase your efficiency.
We are interviewing Katarzyna Górniak – Product Designer from Codest about current trends in UI / UX design. We also looking forward to what 2019 can bring us.
We are impressed by Ruby technology and the Ruby on Rails framework. We are talking about their most important features. Here you will find a small compendium of knowledge.
One of our clients has achieved great success in 2018, and we are really happy with it and pleased that our work could have contributed to the development of Yieldbird. See what effects our cooperation has brought.
Something for the geeks. A design pattern is a conceptual model that helps you solve design problems in various contexts. Do you want to know more? You have to check this article!